Thursday, September 4, 2008

first

Or Pre-K rather. Lauren's first day of Pre-K at Judson Baptist school was yesterday. I limited my intake of water for the past 48 hours hoping dehydration would prevent any emotional outburst.
"No tears, no tears, no tears... big mommies don't cry!!"
Can you see how I've been abandoned? My mother warned me that these would be the fruits of all my labors: I have a well adjusted child.
She smiles like nothing is happening! She's happy!! She has a back pack and shiny shoes and she doesn't need me anymore!!!
Brady, our best buddy makes tracks into the class room. He completely disappeared after this snap shot. Loyalty, ha!
"Pose, Lauren. Mommy isn't ready to say good bye yet"
It's an out of body experience...I see her enter the class room. I see the teacher. I see her not look back, following Ms. Jen's instructions to find her name and put it on the attendance wall. I see her smile, walk over to a friend out of view... then feel myself walking backwards, unable to halt this spinning wheel of time...

When I finally look down, Savannah shows me her 'I-miss-Lala' face. I can't erase the frozen smile and deer-in-headlights look off my face. When I get to the car I laugh; I look 10 years older.
BUT 3 HOURS LATER:
We're smiling again! Time to rescue my deserted child from the pits of preschool. I have Kleenex at hand as I countdown the seconds between me and her classroom's open door.
S and Drew, unscathed, play in the church gym while I chew my fingernails.
Smiling again?! The nerve! She didn't even miss me. Didn't I nurse you from my own body? Haven't I stayed awake countless nights cooling your fevered head?!
L talked and talked about all the fun she had. How she learned about TN and the Smokey Mountains and they're going to have a bear hunt tomorrow and she played at the playgrounds and had yummy snacks and her teacher loves her and so does Jesus....

At least she's safe with me now! We went back to Brady's house for lunch. Come to find out --only the neglected children who stay for "extended days" (12-2:15pm) eat lunch at the school.
By request, I used her lunch box from Nana and wrapped everything in waxed paper with ribbons. She got such a kick out of it.
How else was everyone going to know her mommy loved her the best?



8 comments:

Jen Merrill said...

i-- me!- i am crying! she looks so happy and all grown up (most of it accredited to that mini skirt she has on) thank you for posting these. ill have to get a pic of lil monday at school

Ashley Louise Stowell said...

Oh my goodness...tear! She is such a doll and growing to up to be such a good girl! I hope my kids are 1/2 as cute as La and S!

Thompsontown said...

I love the lunch pail. I can't believe how big and grown up S looks in these pictures. I am so happy you posted I have been waiting all week for this post.

Asa, Lorie, Emmitt and Ruby Gardine said...

I can't believe she's already going to school!!! It looks like she was a cool customer the whole time, no seperation anxiety at all, at least on her end.

Jennifer said...

Congratulations Mommy, you made it through the first day! L. looks so cute. I'm sure she was the most confidant one there.

Mrs. Cindy Hull said...

Martha S. would be so proud!

Deanna said...

I loved the play-by-play post. She is gorgeous (like her Mommy) and looks so happy! I want a pair of those shoes and one of those lunchboxes. Too cute!

Jules said...

The nerve! Isabella did the same thing with kindergarten. Oh, and I love the ribbon. You always make everything beautiful! So, I haven't checked your blog for a while because I have been meaning to email you because I thought you were still private and I didn't get my request to you in time. But, yeah! Now I can check all the time!