Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Nashville Country Music Marathon


Okay, 1/2 marathon. That's 13.1 miles.... Yippy!


Haley flew in from Rochester, NY with her friend Jamie and what a team!! They've got my psyched to do another race already! When Haley arrived on Thursday, I'd already had a long week and lots of hip pain. I wasn't sure I'd be able to run, but couldn't tell myself no. So we carb-loaded Friday night before the race, thank you Cheesecake Factory. And Saturday came very early. Having never run a marathon before, I was surprised when Haley wanted to leave the house at 5:30am to get to the field that is only 20 minutes from my home (race starts at 7). Luckily she's had enough experience to save us from closed roads, crowds and limited parking. 32,000 people ran the Marathon and half marathon. Lesson 1: Keep your arms and legs inside your bubble for the first 7 miles.

I loved all the bands playing throughout the course and tons of neighbors and well-wishers cheered us from the sidelines for all 13 miles. Residents and local shops sliced fresh oranges and passed out little candies to runners. That tootsie-roll saved me on mile 11. (That's right mom, Tootsie rolls are now officially runner's food :)

Needless to say, I won't ever struggle to beat my first time, but I'm so glad I was able to finish!! I'm hoping Jen and Nick will run with me next year....

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Go Kristin!! I'm glad that you are still running. Someday, maybe I'll tackle a 1/2 marathon, shoot, I'm just working up to a 5K.

Jen Merrill said...

..you just HAD to publicly challenge me didn't you?... :) you know i would suck wind the whole time... don't you have to pay to run those things? .. yeah, you should have just asked me if i would like to purchase an embarassing moment...

Thompsontown said...

I am so excited for you. I am glad that you did it. Keep going.

Unknown said...

way to go KK! I hope your hip doesn't give you much more trouble. Love you so!

Scott and Elly said...

Kristen!!! It's so good to find you:) Our moms have been in touch, so I got your blog info. You have such a cute family. Congrats on the half marathon...sounds like it was fun!

Tricia said...

Kristin! Great job! I'm so proud of you. I'm sorry I didn't realize you were training for a marathon....you ROCK!

The Falco Family said...

I am totally in aw of you! What an amazing thing to complete.
I hope the recovery process isnt too bad. 13 miles...wow..go you!!

Haley said...

It's a good thing we left early! We finally reached the starting line at 6:57!

I loved staying with you! Thanks a million.

I'm still planning on the marathon next year. So fun!

Scott and Elly said...

To answer your question, I certified with Stott Pilates and I teach mat classes and private sessions on the machines...I love it! It's been a good transition from dance. Are you a Pilates goer?

melissa said...

Wow! I'm in awe! What an accomplishment! I hope your hip was okay the next day! Everyone in Copely thinks you and Haley are awesome!