Monday, April 21, 2008

ER + stolen cell phone = crazed mommy



Savannah woke up from her nap yesterday (Sunday) with a fever of 103.5. When I went for the Children's Tylenol in my bathroom I discovered the formerly new and unopened bottle empty on the floor...

I ran out to the living room to ask Savannah if she'd eaten them, to which she replied "yes because I was hungry". How fast is my math...? 30 fast melt tabs at 80mg each...

I called Poison Control, Nick, my neighbor and then was off to the hospital at 85 mph.

Nick who was on call at the VA raced to Vanderbilt Children's ER, registered Savannah before I even pulled up and we were seen within 60 seconds of our arrival. Less than 30 min. later we had the results back from S's blood and urine. The toxicity was low enough to not have to be treated (for 3 days of iv). So she didn't eat all 30 tabs...maybe flushed them? We were discharged and home by 10:30. I couldn't even think about resting till I finally caught my breath at 1am.
I am so grateful for the Lord's hand in preserving my child's life. I can not imagine life with out her, and apparently Tylenol overdose = liver failure = death. For right now I'm just counting my blessing and giving S all the attention and love I can. At 12:30 last night I took EVERY ounce of medicine in our house, put it in a adult-proof tackle box on the highest most-Everest-point of our closet shelves. Children's vitamins on top of fridge.

So somewhere between the car and ER my cell was stolen. Stolen because obviously the person making calls to Timbuktu doesn't want to answer it anymore. This has been an expensive night out and I'm pooped.

12 comments:

Mrs. Cindy Hull said...

What a horrible experience to live through. Our Savannah is most precious and the Lord has great things in store for her! You're a fantastic mom to those girls so never doubt that. I'm sure you ate a few bunny turds in your life and you turned out OK!

Jen Merrill said...

lilly looked at that picture and seemed very concerned for s. i love you and will remember not to leave my children in your care. just kidding! i sure hope we find out what she did with all those tablets though. p.s. is that a little glimpse of your new gucci purse in the picture?

Amy said...

How scary! I am so glad that everything turned out okay and that everyone is still healthy and well. I think that is probably one of the scariest things a parent could go through. And sorry to hear about the cell phone, that stinks!

Unknown said...

Reading through that post had my heart racing. I'm so glad savannah id okay. I love her so.

The Falco Family said...

What a scary thing to have happen! I am so glad everything turned out okay!!

michelle said...

How scary!! I'm so glad everything with Savannah is okay. And kudos for not panicking - I always wonder how I'd react in a situation like that.

Jamie said...

Oh Kristin what a nightmare! I'm so glad she is alright. Bummer about the cell phone too. I think you deserve a pedicure!
Jamie

Tricia said...

Good gravy....what an awful thing to go through. Just reading it made my blood pressure skyrocket. My sister, Lindsey, downed a bottle of Tylenol when she was about two. That was back in the day when they gave Ipecac. She puked for about 12 hours and then was ok. I remember just how terrifying *that* was, and I wasn't even the mother.

I'm so glad it all turned out alright. You've inspired me to lock up the medicine. I have it in the tippy-top cupboard above the stove, but I'm thinking now that might not be good enough.

I like the tackle box idea.

Wow. I'm glad all is well. (((HUGS)))

Rebecca said...

So glad that everything is ok. I can't imagine how you felt going through that. It inspired me to do something safer with our meds.

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness!! I'm so glad that she is okay. My heart was racing as I was reading. What a scary thing as a mom.
yes, cell phones can be replaced, precious kids can not.

melissa said...

Terrifying. I can't believe it. I can't imagine the panic. I'm so glad that she is okay! Just put it on the list of outrageous experiences you never want to have again.

Mrs. Cindy Hull said...

Still WAITING for those marathon blog photos!!!!!