Tuesday, April 8, 2008

my train of thought...if you can follow.

I'm busy, AND deeply happy.

I was inspired by a comment my mom made to Cordell (who was just in town) who in turn made it to me (in regards to my lifestyle). It went something like "Mom thinks you'll be crazy and stressed out, but that you'll have fun too." And it's true, I was stressed and crazed. But that moment hit me like a ton of bricks. My consistent lack of planning/time management was all that stood in the way of my happy-stress free smile.
So I got down to business right after he left town and spent 2 days in active-organization-mode to get my calendar, church callings, volunteer work, kid's lessons and husband's work schedule in harmony with one another. My family is my first priority: I'm a daughter of God, wife, mother, sister/daughter, friend...in that order.
This new focus has brought about some seriously happy changes: Scripture study has depth. My house stays clean. I'm not rushed when I'm getting out the door. I'm enjoying talking on the phone more. I'm looking forward to a few dinner dates next week and my kids seem more peaceful. And obviously, I have time to blog. I seriously want Rivka to see it all, she'd be so proud of me. (I've always admired her spirit of peace that is amazingly energizing and renewing...)
I'm only sorry it took me several years of motherhood to grow into this mind set. I think Heavenly Father has given me an added measure of energy and new perspective to help accomplish this organization of home and mind. As I unplugged the tv today I repeat to myself: "I contribute, not consume".

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Wow, what an inspiration! I'm glad that you have more peace in your life and home. We could definately use some of that. Mike is having a hard time trying to balance calling, work and family--it's stressing him. So I think when he gets back we are going to have to do some serious planning too. Thanks for the motivation.

Rivka said...

I am proud of you, K. I truly appreciate your compliments. They always makes me more determined to become the person you think I am.

melissa said...

Just when I think I've almost caught up to your greatness you raise the bar.